Memories of Mermaids R&D Project
Rolemop's Kerri McLean (writer/director/performer) undertook research and development for her Memories of Mermaids performance piece during 2014 with inner-city intergenerational communities in Brooklyn New York, and Haringey/Tottenham London by her asking people about remembered accounts of folk tales and stories from childhood. Kerri connected with;
- Bedford Church Caribbean Elders Groups in Flatbush, New York
- Artists based in Williamsburgh, Brooklyn in New York
- With Community days at Bruce's Castle, Tottenham, London
- Jackson's Lane Youth Group (digital storytelling workshop), London
- Story Telling workshops with children at Marcus Garvey Library, Coombes Croft Library and St . Ann's Library, Tottenham.
- Haringey West Indian Cultural Centre, Haringey, London.
Summer time saw Kerri, as part of an artist-in-residency at the Bernie Grant Arts Centre in Tottenham, develop the new show harnessing her research and collaborating with a range of artists and musicians including critically acclaimed jazz musician Byron Wallen, Jack Ross and Augustin Cross.
We presented 3 work-in-progress shows at The Brighton Dome, London's Library Club and at Bernie Grant Arts Centre during 2014's Black History Month.